Thursday, June 22, 2017

Key Lime Pie

THE BEST DESSERT    Sew Says Mimi
.. simple and a family favorite...

Sew.. I know food bloggers add all kinds of pictures to their blog..

BUT...this is Sew Says Mimi.. a I need to get back to the studio....
And..truth be told, we ate the pie.. Sorry!

Sew...When we were kids...in the 60's, 
it was a HUGE treat to go out to dinner... 
And, in Ft. Lauderdale, our favorite place was 
The Sea Grill.. It was a simple, high quality seafood place,
 but their claim to fame was the 
KEY LIME PIE. 
 It was the best.... and something I have tried to reproduce, on and off for a long time... 
Now, with Amazon providing an amazing selection of hard to find food items, and Pinterest providing recipes galore, 
I have gotten as close to the Sea Grill as I expect is possible....
 with a few of my personal ideas thrown in...


So ... to start.. you need good Key Lime Juice.... 
the only one I have found is Manhattan Key Lime Juice..
available on Amazon

There are several of brands calling their product "Key West Lime Juice"...but I don't think it's the same thing. 
I have seen key limes in the produce section occasionally..they should be yellowish when they are ripe..but they are too small to juice on my 1960's model Waring juicer...

Pie Crust.. 
Use your favorite graham cracker, or other cookie crust. 
I use a premade Keebler chocolate crust . 

They recommend brushing a bit of beaten egg white on the crust and baking it for 5 Min ant 375 degrees to crisp it up..let cool before filling. It makes a huge difference...

Filling:
4 egg yolks
1(14 oz.)can sweetened , condensed milk
1/2 cup Key Lime Juice
Whisk egg yolks and milk together, then add key lime juice.

Pour into crust and bake for 15 min at 325 degrees. Cool on an hour on a cooling rack at room temperature, then refrigerate.

Top with Whipped cream when ready to serve

Whipped Cream tip:  For every cup of cream, add 3 Tablespoons of confectioner's sugar. (Powdered Sugar, or 10x sugar). Confectioner's sugar helps the cream stay firm longer. 

Back to the studio...Sew Says Mimi!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Key Lime Pie

THE BEST DESSERT    Sew Says Mimi .. simple and a family favorite... Sew.. I know food bloggers add all kinds of pictures to their blog...